Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Swimming

I told Xander a little bit more about my granddad's and grandpa's service in the United States military, and reminded him that his Uncle Jeremy serves in our military, too. Erik and I tried to explain a little bit about how our soldiers are fighting right now, but it is a little hard for a 5-year-old who is obsessed with knights and castles and good guys and bad guys to understand. Or is it just that it is hard for us to understand, and thus hard to talk about with our children?

We hung Xander's homemade flag outside on our house's flag holder.

In the afternoon, we all went to the pool. Xander treaded water and swam laps that way with a life jacket on, and Nick loved being dunked up and down in the water (full submersion) and yelling, "I did it! I did it!" for what seemed like an hour. I am proud of both of them.

Nick does things to melt my heart every day, but tonight it was saying, "Nigh-nigh Dander," to his older brother and singing loudly and imprecisely with me as I sang his nightly lullaby. Then he realized he could stick his tongue partway out between his teeth and make a silly sound, so he went down to bed doing that and giggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment