Friday, November 11, 2011

Quirks and Foibles

I just remembered yesterday a habit that Xander had as a baby and toddler. When nursing or drinking from a sippy cup, he would stare straight into my eyes, even if I was across the table from him. It was kind of surprising every time but very endearing.

Nick has never done that, although he will put his little forehead up to mine for affection sometimes. He is much more cuddly than Xander was and loves and cuddles his Pooh bear in a way Xander didn't do with stuffed animals. But watch out if Nick doesn't want to be held at the moment, or hugged or kissed one more time! He has very strong opinions on what he likes and doesn't like. There are even some great children's books I've borrowed from the library that he takes an immediate dislike to. He will protest loudly every time I pick them up, let alone read them. Some of the books he has become obsessed with are Cars: Old, New, Red, Blue; Ready for School (with Sesame Street characters); The Poky Little Puppy; I Stink!; and Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?

Xander has gotten into a recent habit of "hating" what Nick wants to watch or listen to. "I hate that, and I don't want to hear it at all!" On the other hand, he has always agreed right away when I ask him to read a book to his younger brother.

Speaking of Xander's quirks and foibles, he has been able to sneak out of the house with unapproved shirts lately. I guess I don't notice right as he goes out the door with Erik. I told him he had to wear a fresh shirt instead of the long-sleeved black one that had food swipes all over it; when I picked him up from school I realized he had it on under his approved shirt. The next day? He STILL had it on underneath a different approved shirt! Today? He wore the sweatpants and sweatshirt I put out for him but omitted the t-shirt! He was BARE-skinned under that sweatshirt! I told Erik I want our children to look nice when they go to school so the school staff knows we cherish him - but this is getting to be a hard job! He has been to school with teeth unbrushed, hair uncombed, various shirts or non-shirts that are not the ones I'd like, shorts in cold weather, and backwards pants. I am afraid these all happened THIS week. I guess I need an extra cup of coffee in the morning before he goes out the door.

I can't pretend like Xander is just a slob, though. He is learning to clean up after himself very nicely in the bathroom, and he knows how to pack his own school lunch. It is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment