Friday, August 5, 2011

The Feasts of Hogwarts

I think I mentioned before that Erik has begun reading the Harry Potter books to Xander. They are still reading the first book, in which Harry has entered school at Hogwarts and learned the game of quidditch. Xander likes it.

Last night Erik took him to another getting-ready-for-kindergarten tour at the school. Today we gave him a going-to-kindergarten gift of a nice yubo lunchbox (with the pirates theme, the one he picked out).

Xander said, "I need help getting to the school, Mom. I can't get there by myself."

I told him we would be dropping him off and picking him up. He asked when we would be picking him up. Then he asked if he would ever be staying overnight and sleeping at the school. I said no, he would be coming home every afternoon.

"Then how will they give us the feasts?" he asked.

It came to me, suddenly. He thought kindergarten was going to be like Hogwarts, with students living there and having occasional feasts in their grand hall. After thinking how cool that would indeed be if Hogwarts were real (except for the danger), I explained to him the difference between boarding schools and the school he would be going to, and reminded him that Hogwarts was part of a made-up story.

He is reluctant to give up the idea of feasts. Who can blame him? But he cheered up a bit when I mentioned they might sometimes have parties during the day with lots of food. On special occasions.

1 comment:

  1. What a great story! He has such an imagination! And yeah, it would be awesome if schools had feasts like the ones at Hogwarts- minus the servitude of the house elves, of course! S.P.E.W.! :)

    I'll be praying for you guys as Xander's entering this new phase in childhood, and as you parent him (and Nick) through the transition. It will be new and different, and a bit bittersweet! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete