Friday, November 13, 2009

I Can't Think of Titles While A Baby Is Crying

Couple of things that interest me:

It was Erik's idea recently for us to have nights of the week when we do particular things after the kids are in bed. It has worked out fantastically so far. We do Business slash Sustainable Practices Night (everything that needs to be discussed, scheduled, budgeted, or done plus brainstorming about little projects we can do around the house to live more sustainably); Golf Night for Erik when I stay home with the kids; Library Night for me when Erik stays home with the kids; TV Night (Thursdays for The Office, of course); Board Game Night; Night Off, otherwise known as the Gator Game in football season; and Date Night At Home. I love how we anticipate the different nights, and not for the TV shows that come on. Except for Thursdays. I believe it's important for the kids to see that their parents love each other, have fun together, and do things for each other sometimes that don't involve the kids. Xander notices when we have game nights and sounds excited when he asks, "Do you play game with Daddy?" "Daddy, do you play game with Mommy?" This is on his way to the bathroom for the fifth time that night, of course. He likes the games we play with him (Candy Land, Word Bingo, Dora Dominoes, the Minotaur's Maze game that's a bit above his head) and we intend to include him in the more interesting family and adult games as soon as he's able. I've seen some pretty cool looking strategy games for very young kids that I am itching to get for him, like Gulo Gulo. A couple of the euro games we have now could be played by an 8-year-old. Only four and a half years to go! I'd like to keep the game playing exciting so it's something the whole family wants to do together as an alternative to watching TV. Don't get me wrong, we do plenty of that, too, but I want other things in our lives. Xander loves to watch Nature with Erik or home improvement shows with me and that's pretty nice, too. TV relieves stress well and promotes cuddling. But I am off track.

The other thing I wanted to mention, particularly to any grandparents reading this, is that our children are fortunate to have lots and lots of toys and books, so please don't feel the need to go all out for them for Christmas. Now it is at least half my doing that they have so many toys and books, so I understand the allure of buying things for them. Make yourself happy. Just know that they don't need anything. Trains, cars, trucks, stuffed animals, blocks, crayons, pirates, mythical beasts, dress-up clothes, dinosaurs, cozy quilts, puzzles, games, books for all ages, knights, stacking cups, pictures, lacing beads, hanging monkeys, movies...they've got all that and more. I'm trying to make all our holidays about happiness, and for us a lot of times that means simplicity. But happiness comes from a lot of different places, as long as there's love, so do what you do.

Nick is crying angrily and that's my cue to go. I guess one thing he would put on his Christmas list is a 24-hour IV of milk. That might make him happy.

3 comments:

  1. I think the activity per night is such a great idea. I need to incorporate something like that for Jeremy and I. Though he does go to bed an hour after Bailey and during that time he gets ready for next-day's work and plays on the computer. Hmmm. Never-mind. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, that makes it almost impossible for you to have together time at night. I think it took a while for Erik and I to realize we were excited about some of the same things. He does WoW, I like to go to bed early, TV wasn't incentive enough... It was Erik's idea a year ago to get into the euro games and we both really like those so it's a major incentive for me to stay up later and him to stay away from WoW that night. He almost always wins but I still like the games. I won last week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I want to say that Xander has received some amazing gifts from his grandparents and aunts and uncles and great-aunts and friends and relatives. They have been exciting to him and educational and unique and interesting, so I just wanted to make sure I said that. I would hate to see him deprived of any of those things. :) But he sure does have a nice big room and closet full of toys!

    ReplyDelete