Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Books and Talents

It's National Novel Writing Month this month! So I won't be posting as much here until December.

Today Nick and I went back to Mother Goose Storytime. It will take many many trips for him to learn to sit on the mat for the story instead of heading straight for the pink bouncy ball on the stage. I'm not sure if I'm willing to put in the effort! But we got some cool books today. The New Adventures of Curious George, Un Lun Dun by China Mieville, The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross, Los Amigos de Elmer, a Toy Story graphic novel, a Go Diego Go! book called Bats to the Rescue, Baby Signs, Franklin in the Dark, and The World of Shannara by Terry Brooks and Teresa Patterson. Since last week Xander and I and Erik have been reading through some non-fiction dinosaur chapter books, including one about paleontologists.

I still think Xander has all the qualifications necessary to be a paleontologist in real life, or as Xander would put it, "in our world." He likes science, doesn't take much care for his physical safety, is obsessed with dinosaurs, can memorize facts about them, and sometimes uses painstaking care to work his toys, including dinosaur dig toys. And he loves books.

Nick learns well and is very affected by music. I've learned that when he's fussing in the car, turning on music immediately stops him. He also loves books.

Xander went to his room time with his bin of figures and told me, "Mommy, I'm not doing Chronicles of Narnia this time. I'm doing a story of a graphic novel."

Awesome. I think I'll have a partner next year for National Novel Writing Month!

1 comment:

  1. I can't get over how smart that little Xander is. He sounds like such a big boy with his big boy interests and big boy play.

    ReplyDelete