Friday, May 24, 2013

Mad Libs


We have reached the point in time when Xander has discovered Mad Libs...and loves them! I'm picturing all the practice he'll get with parts of speech and the writing in small spaces and the reading... I'm in heaven!

Story time at the library yesterday was an Elephant & Piggie party. One of the activities was a group Mad Libs story about Gerald and Piggie. Xander very badly wanted to do it at home, so I found a Pinterest link with all kinds of Elephant & Piggie activities, including the Mad Lib story that we did at the library. Follow that link above to see for yourself.


Xander filled it out, asking Nick and me for nouns and verbs. He explained to Nick that a verb is an action word, something you do. And Nick was able to give him a verb, on the first try! Xander wrote the words in the small spaces, occasionally asking me for help with spelling. He read the Mad Lib back to us. That's four subject areas in one fun activity that was entirely Xander's idea! Woo hoo! Nobody tell him how much learning he did in those few minutes. ;)

I am going to find some of their favorite short picture books and use excerpts to make our own Mad Libs pages. Milking this for all it's worth.

On a related note, I must have left my vinegar-and-water spray bottle out, because both kids have asked to use it. I told them they must do it on a glass surface, like our back doors, and they must wipe the glass surface clean. And now I have two people cleaning the glass in our house. Good times.

2 comments:

  1. L lurves mad libs! you can get it for the iPad too if Xander likes that sort of thing :)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, good tip! I'll have to look for an Android version. But first, I'll keep letting him practice his writing on this new hobby. ;)

    ReplyDelete