Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Signs of Growth

At a birthday party

Remember when I posted Xander's height and weight on April 8th? He has grown half an inch. In less than a month. It feels like he is just steadily growing without showing any dramatic growth spurt behavior. The one thing he is doing that could relate is sleeping in late in the mornings, but I have a feeling that is going to be his preferred pattern for the rest of his life.

His freckles are really coming out in the springtime sun. Mine too. It's funny, he looks just like his dad and not like me at all, but our freckles behave the same way.

I read in a parenting column that seven-year-olds are in a sunny period of development. They are friendly and still like their parents (on top of loving them) and like to have meaningful conversations with them. This is the type of period we are having with Xander. Wonderful. I try to hug him all I can, recognizing that I may not always be able to. (But I hear from some parents that their teenage sons remain affectionate.) I've also noticed that he responds to my explanations of why we need to do certain things. I can be logical with him and he is logical in turn. This is the phase I was dreaming of, pre-mommyhood, when I thought about having children!

With Nick, we are in a different phase. I am enjoying his phase just as much. He is acting more mature and understands, or at least talks about, many more concepts. He goes around talking about words and what letter they start with. Right now, he asks me to come be with him more often than before. I recognize this phase from when Xander was about this age. I am trying to drink up this time when he wants me to be around. (While taking breaks from them at other times. :)

But more about Master Nick in a month or less. He will be turning 4, quite the young gentleman.

I keep thinking, "Xander was younger than this when he became an older brother!"

No comments:

Post a Comment