Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Telling Stories


The boys are composing stories for each other. Even Nick knows to "read" by chapters and to end something that a character said with, "he cried."

When Xander was about four years old, I wrote down several of his stories. Maybe I can catch Nick in the middle of one of his:

"...so Sandy Crocodile said, 'What could I have for this time? I could do for this time is do something weird about the sound.'

"Okay, the next chapter of Sandy Crocodile.

"'What could I do to play this thing now? Hmmmm. Play Imaginext,' Sandy Alligator said.

"I only have two chapters in this book.

"Okay. I'll read Myths and Legends. [pronounced Miffs and Wegends]

"Once upon a time, Sandy was a myths and legends book. Xander, Sandy's in the Myths and Legends book. Once upon a time, Sandy was going to swim and um he said, "Excuse me," Sandy said. Now the guinea pig has a [interruption by Xander]...not your time tomorrow.

The End"

Circumstances are not as ideal to catch Nick's stories as they were when Xander was his age. When Xander was his age, Nick was a baby who had about two naps a day. I sometimes sat with Xander all by himself to do learning activities or listen to him play. I do learning activities with Nick, and spend time listening to him play, but there is usually an older brother around to put in his two cents at some point. Or maybe I am just busier and not ready to drop everything to type up a transcript of Nick. But I wanted to catch something today to show that Nick has the same tendencies as Xander to tell stories with large vocabulary.

Right now, he is reciting "The Adventures of Imaginext Sandy," who is looking at a cake on a table and who is getting an Imaginext battering ram for his birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment