Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Big Day

Xander had his first day of swim lessons at the YMCA this morning. He had a great time! I stayed far away on the pool deck, like they recommend, so that the children and instructors can focus on each other. I did see all the things he did: being pulled on a floating bar, getting floated on his back, kicking, using an arm-stroke with a floaty around his waist, sliding down the last part of the pool slide and getting his face wet!

I noticed that after the first exercise, they started doing Xander first with the new exercises. In my mind, that was because he is so enthusiastic about new experiences with other children and adults and so would be a good role model. He loved his first swim lesson.

Much more surprising to me was how well Nick did in Child Watch. He is more cautious. Although he is friendly, open, and fun-loving after he gets used to an idea, he is not happy (usually) about a new thing until he has those few minutes or days to get used to it. For the last few days, I had tried to explain what would be happening there, but it is impossible to say what he understood about my talks. When I dropped him off, he saw two little boys walking through the door to the children's watch room by themselves, so he just followed! I was amazed. Then he whimpered when he got through and reconsidered. The woman on duty offered him the snack I had sent with him, and I imagine that kept him happy for a while. When we came to pick him up, he was calmly playing outside with the other toddlers. No one was carrying him around and he wasn't crying. Fantastic! I hope he continues to like it as we go every day for the next two days. The pool is not open to the public when swim lessons start, so it would be very hard to watch him on the pool deck while Xander has his lesson.

This afternoon we are going to the house of one of my online friends! I know her well in an online sense but have never met her or her husband or son face to face. They moved last week to Austin. She is pregnant. Their furniture is delayed so they have almost nothing until this Friday. So, we are bringing over a little bit of food and utensils and meeting them this afternoon! I am excited. Nick has proved on three different occasions with over three different toddlers that he can play nicely with others. I have high hopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment