Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Some Results

Potty training is a lonely thing, isn't it? Things are going well since this morning. Two or three successes (#1) and only one small accident! He cares, which is what stresses him out, but also lets me know very clearly when he has to go.

Tonight I'm making another recipe from the 1963 McCall's. I said it was a '50s cookbook in the last post because I remembered wrong. Close, though. Tonight we are having Baked Mushroom Meatloaf. I already have a Shreve family meatloaf recipe that is tried and true, but it's fun trying out these recipes before Erik comes home. He can have the successes at that point. :) The meatloaf might not be as favored by the kids, since it involves mushrooms. Interestingly, there is a layer of sliced mushrooms, parmesan cheese, hard-boiled egg slices, and parsley in between two meat loaves. Maybe they won't notice? The parsley is fresh from our pot outside.

Dessert is McCall's Best Clove Cake or something like that which I made yesterday. I love making their cakes so far. They are simple with clear directions. The ingredients aren't too costly, either, at least so far. I guess I've only made very basic cakes. I remember finding an orange marmalade triple layer cake recipe a couple years ago that I wanted to make, but it turned out the ingredients would have cost at least $14. At the time, I wasn't willing to put that much into a home-baked cake.

Well, I go on like this because I am lonely. :) We have Xander's neighbor friend over so the kids are having fun. In between spats.

As I was typing, I noticed Nick standing very still. Yep. An accident in progress. We went to clean up in the bathroom. The nice thing was Xander had to come in and he nicely told Nick, "It's okay. It's not the end of the world."

I am letting Nick take a break now by wearing a diaper. I told him we would try again tomorrow.

Enough details about all that, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment