Thursday, January 17, 2013

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

We have four days until Martin Luther King Jr. Day. If you count the day itself, that's five days for us to do activities related to it.

image credit

Today, we are going to look at some photos of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., at National Geographic Kids, and read the captions to learn more about him.

Tomorrow, we will read one quote from him that mentions his own children, and look at the photo of Dr. King with two of his children. Thanks go to Children Around the World for that post.

Saturday, the boys will have the chance to color a picture of Dr. King against the backdrop of the Liberty Bell.

Sunday, we will listen to a free audio file of his "I Have A Dream" speech during lunch.

On Monday, we will bake a cake, decorate it, sing "Happy Birthday" to Martin Luther King, Jr., and helpfully eat the cake for him.

Last year, we read a picture book about Dr. King which I really liked. Xander, at five years old, got a lot out of it. It was My Brother Martin : A Sister Remembers Growing Up With the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., by Christine King Farris.

During the same week, we also read Champion: The Story of Muhammad Ali, by James Haskins. Xander liked that one as well.

We had good conversations, the type you dream about before you ever have children, after reading those two books.

I have to give credit to The Work Plan for the majority of these ideas. I pinned her post last year and wanted to do something similar this year.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, I tried to do an activity with Hula Girl recently. I explained to her that MLK Jr. wanted people with all colors of skin to be able to do the same things. Then I printed out an outline drawing of him with an American flag for her to color. I turned around to start making lunch and turned back around to find that she had colored the whole thing already- using EVERY COLOR at once (like, she put her colored pencils in her hand and scribbled around with all the colors).

    Her comment: "Mah-teen Yufer Teen Jun-or yikes all the colors at the same time."

    I think we'll try again when she's older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I bet the drawing looked nice. Yeah, she might be young for certain conversations. :) But I keep thinking about that chapter in Nurture Shock talking about how it's important to speak directly to our children about race because they're getting messages from our silence anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the image...eerily ironic w/the police in the foreground standing between us & the man. i remember all of it. his assassination became part of the fabric of my coming-of-age. i was 13. i was devastated. i painted that pic of his wife & kids at the funeral. we watched it on tv. his plain flag-draped coffin was pulled by a team of mules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know some of those things. Was there a symbolic reason for the team of mules? I imagine it was a procession?

      Delete