Sunday, June 23, 2013

Mother-Son Date


Nick and I had our first official parent-child date this weekend. We've gone on other outings like this, just the two of us, but this was our first "official date."

He wanted to go to Target to play with the toys in the Imaginext aisle. Because he loves to do this, we hardly ever go to Target. :) But I said he could do that for a long time on our date. (Obviously, he does not cause any harm to the toys, he just examines them and tries the buttons that the packaging advertises.) We did this for a looooooong time. Then we bought some new underwear that was needed. He wanted Batman.

Then I shopped for some groceries, during which he whined that he was hungry. I probably should have saved my errands for a different time. 

When Erik heard we were going on our date this Saturday morning, he suggested we all meet up at IHOP afterward. He and Xander met Nick and me there and we had a very nice family breakfast. Nick, in spite of complaining about hunger beforehand, ordered only the fruit cup. He also got orange juice. This made him plenty happy. (Well, he ate my sausage links, too, but I was happy with that because I don't like them.)

On our first official date, I learned that Nick likes golden oldies on the radio. And I mean oldie oldies, not the stuff I listened to in high school.

I took Xander on a mother-son date when he was four years old, to a movie. (He had done a couple of father-son dates to Monster Jam by then.) We got a cute picture before we went, probably because my mom was visiting and she gets pictures. I didn't think to have anyone take my picture with Nick. Next time.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun date to me! Oh, I can remember spending what seemed like hours in the action figure aisle with my oldest son. We used to go to toy stores just to play sometimes (my youngest son had a thing for the train tables...that felt like forever as well).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your comment, it sounds like such an excellent free activity for kids. I guess I always have a different goal when we go to stores, so I get impatient. But thank you, Target, for an almost free date with my son. :)

    ReplyDelete