Friday, July 5, 2013

Fireworks

We went to fireworks last night. The last time we did that as a family, Xander was a baby, I think. One year, when he was four, we did some fireworks on our driveway. Not quite the same.

I went through a cycle with family holidays that I am sure is common to lots of other people. As a kid, I cherished and enjoyed them. As a 10- to 12-year-old, I started to feel the joy of those experiences was dimming a bit. As a teenager, I realized these events could be boring.

Holidays remained pretty boring for me until I had kids. Now I get to experience the joy of my little kids vicariously. It is awesome!

Last night, when the fireworks began, Xander shouted with almost every display, "It's not over yet! It's not over yet!"

And Nick jumped and ran around in circles in front of our place because he was that excited.

It was a whole new world opened up to them.

Here are some pictures, mainly of the kids climbing up into the city fire truck:




After this, he proceeded to jump from the seat down to the ground instead of using the steps. My reflexes are lightning quick thanks to these boys, so I caught him.




Walking back to our car...only took 25 or 30 minutes to get home once we got in the car (we live 2.5 miles away from the park). It was worth it. Next year, Austin fireworks? *shudder*


No comments:

Post a Comment