Tuesday, September 15, 2009

First Post

This is an informal blog to be viewed only by people I choose. That will probably mean immediate family members and a few other relatives who request it. My goal is to write a short something about what Xander and Nick were up to each day, and only to spend about 15 minutes on it...which is the amount of time I can spare right now. I'm hoping it will be used by some family members to keep up with the boys' lives and, later, by the boys themselves to look back at what our lives were like at this period. And to learn how much I enjoyed them through all the little moments.

I won't be posting too many pictures. Well, who knows, but I'm just not good at doing that regularly.

Here are some examples of things I'll write about:

Nick and I just spent five minutes grrr-ing back and forth after I changed his diaper and then laughing at each other as this seems to be a hilarious activity.

A thing I learned today: I can't give away the two first newborn pajamas Xander wore. He was able to wear them for about two weeks tops before he grew out of them. I believe Nick fit into each one once. But as I typed up a list of baby things for a pregnant friend to choose from, I had to delete those two pajamas. Now I'll have to figure out something to do with them! They evoke strong memories of my entry into motherhood and I cannot let them go.

Xander learned how to sound out words and read the other day, and I can't put it in his baby book because that has gone missing since we moved. Let's see, it was Thursday last week because that was the day after I got the Leap Frog Letter Factory DVD and a Bob Book from the library. Xander has known the sounds of some letters for a few weeks now, but after watching the Letter Factory, he must have immediately gotten them all. I showed him the Bob Book and he pointed to the first four letters and made the sound for each of them. Mom and I got very excited and pointed to the first page. "M-a-t s-a-t," Xander said. (His book is all about Mat and Sam, mostly sitting.) I don't know the last time I was that excited. But I'm going to take this as slow as I'm capable of doing because now he will need to memorize sight words and learn about grammar, syntax, punctuation, etc., not to mention learning the alternate sounds of vowels and how vowels sound when they're next to each other. He's become more proficient in the first few books since that day, but we will soon hit snags due to the factors I just mentioned. But yayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could give Xander this hoky set of mythical monster creatures that I picked up at the grocery store the other day, but I can't. I told him he would get a treat toy if he stayed in bed for naptime and went to sleep. Uh, yeah. That's not happening. Not today.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing this, Kristy. And that is some exciting news on Xander!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I can't believe he is reading. That is so exciting and I'm so proud of my very smart nephew. He has always been quick with the letters. I bet he'll be reading whole books by the time he is four. And about the pajamas. I suggest you get a box and put all your favorite baby stuff in it. Totally worth it. That's what I've done for Bailey. A memorable outfit, her first rattle, her hospital cap, some early paintings, and so on. Now it's time to get one for Foster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Jeff! I hope it works out. I think I'll take your suggestion, Leslie. I have a box for his paper stuff, crafts, etc. The best of the best. Now I just have to decide whether I use that box or a different one just for baby stuff, or some shadow boxes like Aunt Pat suggested.

    ReplyDelete