Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cool

This is how it usually works: after Bailey leaves, Xander's conversation gets a little more "sophisticated." For example, this evening after I gave him part of a chocolate chip scone for dessert, he said, "Cool!" He also cared for his drinking, wetting baby doll for a little while today. She had played with the dolls while she was here but usually Xander is indifferent to them.

He is learning so much. As always. I read a book of nursery rhymes to him today and tonight I hear him reciting parts of some of them. He's been pretty good at Hey, Diddle Diddle for a while, but now he's perfected it. I caught him saying part of a rhyme we hadn't read before today that goes:

Are you coming, Sir? No, Sir. Why, Sir? Because I've got a cold, Sir. Where did you get the cold, Sir? Up at the North Pole, Sir. What were you doing there, Sir? Catching polar bear, Sir. How many did you catch, Sir? One Sir, two Sir, three Sir.

Xander was doing the counting part with Sir after it. Kind of cute to hear.

Nursery rhymes are so nonsensical they're almost annoying to an adult, but kids sure like them. Nick was sitting on my lap today while I read them to Xander and he started talking back to me, smiling like I was making them up just for him. He even laughed, for real! They were just so funny to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment