Friday, September 18, 2009

Some Hopes and Dreams

Some of my hopes and dreams for Xander:

that he be able to read, write, observe, argue, appreciate, and reason well and easily
that he have an attitude of joy toward life and people
that he be fulfilled in life
that he share life with the right person and have a wonderful family of his own, if he chooses
that he take responsibility for his own actions
that he set goals and achieve them
that he be able to love
that he become involved in a sport or something similar that he can be passionate about, especially in the teenage years
and the selfish one: that he still love me when he's old enough to realize my faults

I will think about Nick for a day or so to see if I have the same hopes and dreams for him. Mostly likely I do, but sometimes different thoughts come to me because of their (already) differing personalities.

There are so many additional hopes I have for my children; if I took the time to think of them all and write them down, it might take months. Ah, here's another one already: that he relate to other people well and easily. This is a major talent of his right now, I just don't want him to grow out of it, or become too afraid or disillusioned to keep relating that way. I'm thinking of this because there was a teenage girl at the library the other night when I was doing volunteer duty who didn't seem to get social nuances at all. There was an adult with her who approached me wondering what books or authors I could recommend for her: she liked horror, James Patterson, and vampires. I recommended an author and went around looking for vampire books but couldn't find any in a short period of time. All communication went between me and the adult, although I tried to address the teenage girl as well. The girl occasionally said, "Huh?" and "Uh," and that was about it while both of us adults were trying to find books for her. A minute after I had given up, she came up to me and said, "Where's James Patterson?" It was so abrupt I didn't realize she was talking to me at first. I found the author for her and that was the end of that. I think she had some kind of problem, possibly even a disorder of some type. I'm not judging her, just thinking about the effect she had on me. It was not pleasant. I don't want my sons to be like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment