Monday, April 18, 2011

Nick and the Move

Can I tell you something that I think is amazing?

This morning Nick wanted to play the loud music on the fire truck right next to the room where Erik is sleeping. I brought it to the bonus room so it wouldn't wake up Erik. (The bonus room has most of our packed and unpacked boxes in it.) Nick looked around and did a little stompy-dance and yelled. He did not want to play in there. While he yelled, I said, "Nick, can I tell you something about the boxes?"

He immediately stopped yelling and stomping and looked at the boxes. I told him that we were putting our things into boxes so we could take them with us to move to a new house, so that we could be in a new house with all our same things and all our same people in the family. He listened. When I was done, he did a one-two stomp but made only a quiet sound.

I said, "I know, you don't like that."

And he was quiet.

Maybe I don't give my kids enough credit for how much they understand. Maybe he didn't understand what I said, although he surely knew I was talking about the boxes. I do think it is amazing that an explanation can make a stomping 22-month-old quiet! He processes so much information from us.

Now, I don't expect things to go too smoothly when we pack up all his toys. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment