Friday, December 4, 2009

Baby Hands

Nick is grabby. That's his baby mode of expression. Xander stood and bounced up and down in our laps from a newborn--that was his mode of expression. Nick likes to do that, too, but his little hand is always reaching, his fingers curling up, around, closing, up, around, closing, until he gets hold of something. Even when I hold his wrist back away from me so he can't grab my hair, his hands twists and his fingers curl, up, around, closing, up, around, closing.

I mentioned this to Erik and he smiled and said, "His toes do it, too."

Yes, indeed. Not only did I have to tell Nick, "Hands down while I'm feeding you!" I also had to start, "Feet down! No feet in mouth while I'm feeding you!"

It will be very interesting to see how Nick's personality unfolds as he learns to sit, crawl, walk, and talk. This Christmas we are getting Xander and Nick a toy that they will have to share. I think they are at the point where they can begin to have playtime with each other. I'll have to be there, of course, but they both like toys, each other's toys, in fact, and they can definitely play with and next to each other. Exciting!

Nick is putting us to some trouble these days. He caught my cold and turned it into an ear infection and he hasn't slept to speak of in two nights. So neither have I. Erik has taken long middle-of-the-night shifts, too. It's awful when you decide you'll do anything to comfort your baby and then none of it works! He has Amoxicillin now so we hope he will be back to normal very soon.

Xander is going back to La Petite on Monday morning for his once-a-week visits. It will be great for him and I'm not worried about his health but, sheesh, hardly anything is worse than a sick baby, especially one who will start catching things from his older brother.

With that said, how lucky and blessed we are that Nick has an ear infection and not something chronic like cancer or... I can't type the list of things I'm thinking of. I'm too superstitious, or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment