Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Sibling Playtime

I have to write what our first official sibling playtime looks like. They're both supposed to stay on the large blanket I set out. There are toys of Nick's out that Xander likes--My Big Animal Book and stacking bowls--and toys of Xander's that are okay for Nick--the Fisher-Price animal barn. Nick has become quite mobile and I have to keep putting him back on the blanket. Xander tries to keep the stacking bowls away from Nick but I insist he share in some way. Xander gives Nick two of the bowls so he can play in peace with the others.  Nick moves forward. Xander goes to the very edge of the blanket and reads the animal book with his back against Nick. This is not exactly sibling play-together paradise. Nick grabs the back of Xander's pajama shirt while Xander tells him, "Nick, let go!" Nick laughs. This is hilarious. Xander moves to the other edge of the blanket.

Now we're getting it. Xander notices that Nick is all over his barn and waits at the edge, trying to figure out a way to get in there and play with it himself. I ask him to find a way they can both play with it, and I will help by moving Nick back a little bit. Xander tells Nick he can have these four animals while Xander plays with the other ones.

"Don't eat that cow, Nick," says Xander.

Nick inadvertently pushes a toy animal in Xander's direction.

"Thank you, Nick!" says Xander. "Can I play with those?"

He takes the rest of the animals back. After my feedback, he gives Nick some bowls to play with. Nick laughs. Xander turns his back again to play with the animals by himself.

This is kind of fun but I can see it's going to take some work on Mommy's part for quite a while. However, this is Mission Accomplished because Xander has shared happily with Nick and Nick has had a marvelous time.

No comments:

Post a Comment