Friday, May 7, 2010

An Adventure In Keeping Cool

We had what you might call an adventure today. An almost-adventure. What happened was that I decided we could drop off our Teacher Appreciation gift at preschool today. I was rushing to get both kids ready, Xander was eating slowly, Nick kept grabbing for my keys, I was helping Xander get his shoes on, and the last straw was probably my sweater on a hot day keeping me uncomfortable as I tried to get us out the door before Nick started a real fuss. I tossed my keys to the side where Nick couldn't reach them, got Xander's shoes on, grabbed the various bags we needed, and got us all out the door and into the car. The kids were buckled up. I wanted to start the car. No keys. I had finally locked us out of the house on a hot day with no way back in, no faulty window. It was only a matter of time because when I lock up the house, I lock up the house. I leave no lock unturned. Which is why I usually have only one place I keep my keys. It is very important that someone like me keep them nearby! Long story short, I called Erik's phone a bunch of times in a row causing his coworker to go find him and hand him his phone which had been charging at his desk. He very, very pleasantly drove back home to let us in the house. We played in the back yard while we waited which turned out fine. In those first few minutes, I really had to work to keep from losing my cool, and I'm sure my frustration showed in the way I talked to Xander a couple times. It was a lesson to me on rushing and impatience. After Erik saved us, I grabbed the keys and we went.

We dropped off a bowl of treats with the director once we got to school because we appreciate everybody there. Xander had insisted on carrying the popcorn box with Ms. Nokosha's stuff in it. He got very shy when he saw everyone lying down in dim lighting. We had arrived at nap time. That and the fact that he was only dropping by school rather than having been there all morning combined to make him act strange. Ms. Nokosha kept asking him what was the matter and put him on her lap as he gave her our little gift. She tried to get him to talk but he was being so quiet. He almost looked scared! I asked him to tell her what movies he loved, since we were giving her treats on a movie theme. That opened him up to say that he loved Spiderman. She said she loved Shrek and Happy Feet and asked if he knew those movies. He nodded. Meanwhile poor Nick had been in my arms sweating. Those infant car seats are very safe but they are also sweatboxes in the car in summer. I had to read the car manual when we got back in to figure out the best way to get the air conditioning back to the back seat! We left after a few minutes and when I asked Xander how it was dropping off the gift to Ms. Nokosha, he said, "I love Spiderman." So anyway. He did say that he liked giving it to her and yes, he thought she would like it. By the time we reached home, he was his old self again and said this week we could look for more things and give her another gift!

Then he told me he was tired and wanted to sleep for rest time. !!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment