Wednesday, May 5, 2010

One-Year Milestones

I've been thinking about the milestones that occur around one year old, since Nick is 11 months old on Saturday. This is the list I came up with: [updates in red, since he has  now been 1 year old for two days!]

Switching to cow's milk
-----we already do half formula/half cow's milk out of necessity, with good results
-----low iron at his check-up :(, doing vitamins in his milk
Walking
-----pretty much there, posted about it previously
-----a pro, except now it's injury time
Switching to independent playtime in his room instead of his playpen?
-----I haven't made up my mind to do this quite yet
-----not going to do this until he shows me he is completely ready for it; he likes independent play in his playpen right now
One-year molars
-----please, no!
-----I don't know, he's had a cough for a month that I attributed to teething; his right incisor has popped out a little bit and I might be seeing white spots on his lower gum, too; he puts his finger all the way back in his mouth for comfort
Baby's first haircut
-----don't know why I was thinking one year here, it's whenever the parents want, I guess; posted about this already
-----had his first haircut and now he's looking shaggy again; it's gotten kind of hot with summer and I may start to agree with Erik about the buzz cut
Okay to introduce honey and citrus and possibly eggs
-----but I've already given him eggs with good results
-----we had already been doing some eggs and peanut butter with no problem; now I will think about honey graham crackers and citrus fruits--but not while his split lip is healing!
Switching to a front-facing car seat
-----thinking about putting Xander in a booster seat and Nick in Xander's convertible car seat (Nick will not overheat as quickly and may be more content in the car)
-----done; Xander loves it and Nick has become fussier--even spit up twice; we'll see what happens when we drive to Tampa later in the month and use the DVD player
One-year birthday party
-----not exactly a milestone but definitely an event in the parents' lives; we do this party game at one year where we lay down a pencil, paintbrush, ball, tool, and maybe a doll and an animal, too...and let the baby loose to see what he picks up first, which "predicts" his future occupation
-----we forgot to do the game, though he loved the balloon and all his toys (bouncy ball, foam letters and numbers, stuffed knit penguin, plastic farm animals, musical book, interesting cards); will do the game sometime soon if I remember


Life has gotten more hectic again. It was already a bit challenging with a baby and a preschooler; now they are both old enough to give me more of a run for my money. I will go Cathy on you and say "Aaaaacckkkkk!" until further notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment