Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King Day

Xander and I had a short talk yesterday about Martin Luther King, Jr. We talked about how people whose names are the same as their father's names have a Junior at the end of their names. He has a classmate, Jose, who is called Junior.

Today I traced his hands a bunch of times on a piece of paper and told him how a great man, Martin Luther King, Jr., wanted all people to hold hands and work together on our problems, people of all colors, races, and religious beliefs. I said he could color in the hands all different colors to remind him of this.

"But they're not real," he said.

"No," I said, "the hands are just a picture to remind us on this day when we celebrate Martin Luther King's birthday."

"Are we having presents today?" he asked.

"No," I said, "I hadn't planned any presents. Did you?"

"No," he said, "but he wants presents."

I said, "He is no longer living."

"But he wants one, so we should go underground and give him this. He wants one."

"Oh, because he is buried underground?" I asked.

"Yes."

I'll let you know how this concept progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment