Friday, February 15, 2013

Search for the Cheapest Meal Ever

Okay, so I blew our frugal grocery budget this month. We hosted a party, among other things, and bought more than usual for that week.

I wasn't too worried about spending extra. I figured we'd have a lean week the week after and eat from our pantry after that. February's a short month, so yay! I've been grabbing deals here and there and we do have several items in our pantry that will help.


I've also been freezing leftover or extra dishes.


But with all that, I still found myself Googling "cheapest meal ever" for our menu planning this week. :)

As usual, most of the ideas I found through that search were not cheaper than meals I've made many times over the years. I did, however, come up with enough options to plan the week's meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert - for what I believe will be $19 or $20 at the grocery store. (I like to make sure there is homemade dessert available most days in a lean week because it can be nicely filling.)

This is not going to be a super healthy menu! On the bright side, it contains more vegetarian meals than normal because meat can add up. In the menu plan below, I'll underline the things I have to buy because they're not in our pantry or freezer at the moment.

Monday:
B: Toaster Strudels
L: Peanut Butter and Honey Sandwiches and Ants On a Log
D: Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Bake with Green Beans
De: Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip (WWPBOCC) Cookies {I LOVE this recipe from Money Saving Mom!}

Tuesday:
B: Banana Bread with Cream Cheese and Jam
L: Leftovers, Ants On a Log
D: Simple Pita Pizzas and Quick & Easy Breadsticks {been using this recipe for years}
De: WWPBOCC Cookies

Wednesday:
B: Cereal
L: Sandwiches, Peanuts and Raisins
D: Simple Spaghetti and Salad with Ranch Dressing
De: Toasted Tortillas with Hazelnut Spread

Thursday:
B: Swedish Pancakes with Syrup
L: Peanut Butter and Honey Sandwiches
D: Creamy Potluck Potatoes with Green Beans
De: WWPBOCC Cookies if there are any left :)

Friday:
B: Hot Cocoa and Cereal
L: Ants On a Log, Sandwiches
D: Light and Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes, Eggs

Saturday:
B: Peanut Butter and Honey Toast
L: Leftovers
D: Vegetarian Spanish Rice with four $1 hamburgers {I can subsist on vegetarian rice dishes, but it seems the rest of my family cannot} {tip: try adding sliced carrots or sunflower seeds into rice when making a variation of Spanish Rice - nice flavor and health factor}
De: if absolutely necessary, we have some candy left over

Sunday:
B: Cereal and Canned Fruit
L: Sandwiches and Pretzels and Banana Bread
D: Veggie Cheese Soup with Biscuits and Jam/Honey {normally we would have a lot of the ingredients for this in our freezer or refrigerator, but this week I'll need to buy onion, celery, 2 small red potatoes, California frozen veggies, 1/2 cup ham, 8 oz. Velveeta (maybe)}
De: none; what are we, kings and queens? ;)

Snacks will be air-popped popcorn, sandwiches or leftover bread, and any fruit that is left.

Anyone have other good ideas for cheapo meals? Share!

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to that kind of a search. It looks like you have most my cheap meal options on your menu already: pancakes, soup, and sandwiches. Cinnamon toast is my go-to cheap breakfast. My crew doesn't care much for any type of casserole meal so that always throws me a bit when trying to plan cheaper meals. My family has to have the meat as well although I'm going to start trying to throw one meatless meal a week at them. Wish me luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, those casserole dishes can be great - but my family is not crazy about them either. My kids didn't like any kind of soup for years, but now soups are going over well. Thank goodness! Cinnamon toast is a great idea. Cheap and so yummy.

    Good luck with the meatless meals! :)

    ReplyDelete