Saturday, February 9, 2013

Valentine Party



Today we had a party. This was one of the biggest parties I have ever hosted: 14 children and 10 adults.

On Thursday, the kids and I painted the sign you see above. I was inspired by this post at Modern Parents Messy Kids. The kids loooooooooved making it, because I am not a mom who lets them pull out the paint just any old time. I like the color scheme. The whole project was really fun, and it ended up being our biggest decoration for the party. You're looking at about six feet of painting there.

The party was so fun, at least for us. I had a lot more ideas than time, so Erik jumped in to make a music playlist, quick-clean the bathrooms, mop the floors, make a Temporarily Off Limits sign for one of our son's doors (the bedroom with the bunk beds, guinea pig, and butterfly larvae, of course), keep the kids busy without making a mess, pick up last-minute construction paper, and cook the cheeseburger sliders.



Meanwhile, I did the fun but slow stuff like baking 68 heart-shaped cookies for decorating, cooking two batches of caramel popcorn, making up treat bags, going on last-minute shopping trips, putting together a Valentine sensory table, making heart-shaped pb&j tortillas, vacuuming, dusting, gathering valentine-making materials, writing secret messages on white hearts, and whipping up hot cider/wassail.

We had a nice spread, thanks to people bringing over wine, juice boxes, lemonade, a fruit platter, Lil' Smokies-in-a-blanket with veggies, and more.


It seemed like all the boys wore red shirts. Very cute.

The kids who painted over the white hearts to reveal a secret message made really beautiful color combinations. I wish I had taken pictures of them, but it was a bit busy over here.


We got a nice "hidden" thank you note before one of the boys left. And he was here without his parents, so it was all his idea!


The sliders were quickly eaten up.

After people went home, Xander gave me a hug and said thank you for a great party. Nick said, "I love you." I said, "I love you too!" He said, "I love you for the party."

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and it's so easy! White crayon on white paper heart that you've cut out...and then they do the magic by painting with watercolors.

    ReplyDelete