Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Utensils

I still remember my dad telling me, "Kristy, use your utensils - you're not a barbarian!" when I was young. Judging from my experience as a parent now, I was probably about Xander's age. :)

I've started giving Nick some food in a bowl with a fork or spoon during his meals. He loves it, and what is more surprising, he doesn't make a big mess. In fact, we have less mess now. He is more interested in his meals and uses signs more often, so he doesn't hardly ever throw food on the floor anymore. I gave him a meal yesterday that didn't call for a bowl or utensils, and he was annoyed. He wanted down very soon. It just wasn't good enough for him.

At this moment, he is eating thick oatmeal out of a bowl with a spoon in one hand and a glob of oatmeal in the other hand. Hey, I didn't say he was perfect at it.

He does jab at his food with the utensil. Then he puts the food into his mouth via the other hand. Whatever. He stays at his meals longer and happier and I get to do a few more things than I used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment