Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Brag About My Toddler

I had to go to a doctor's appointment right after dropping off Xander at school this morning. So, Nick was in the car for 45 minutes to drop off Xander and get to the doctor's office. Then we sat and waited at the doctor's for TWO HOURS with Xander's plastic doctor kit, a lift-the-flap book, a snack and water, and a zipper pouch full of foam letters. He did great! Toward the very end of the time, he cried a little, but it was barely anything. Especially for a 15-month-old at lunchtime who is teething. Then we hopped back in the car for 45 minutes to pick up Xander, go home, get some quick lunch, and go down for nap. What a champion waiter!

Xander is extremely sweet and extremely bossy these days. He tells us all how much he loves us and gives us lots of hugs and cuddling. Then when we tell him what he needs to be doing, he says, "Oh, I changed my mind. I don't think I need to do that. I change my mind every time I want to!" And proceeds to have a small fit when we insist. All very age-appropriate, but... And I can barely leave his sight. I understand his concern in light of our car accident. It's just very wearing.

Suddenly he can do small toy loom weaving, using the hook tool and everything. He can button and unbutton his shirts. He can assemble his toys even when Mommy forgets how to do it. It's been a huge leap in understanding and physical skills. I have to say he cannot quite skip even though he thinks he can.

He just now told me (about the doctor headgear he made at school), "Careful with this, because this will totally break. So we can't break it, because then I won't wear it."

2 comments:

  1. I like that "I changed my mind" tactic. I haven't heard that on yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, maybe it's coming. :) He seemed to get that one straight from school somehow.

    ReplyDelete