Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Things Not to Buy

Xander put on a long knitted "cape" which had been intended for a blanket (but I messed up on it and gave it to Xander) and I fastened it for him with a twist tie from a bread bag. He wanted to be, alternately, a superhero and a bat. When he was a superhero, he took the tube that holds his mythical creatures and waved it around for a weapon to fight monsters.

I've been reading about all kinds of wonderful toys and dramatic play props in the last few days that Xander would just love, like pirate dress-up props and fairy tale finger puppets and a book of heroes. Today I am smiling realizing that he doesn't need dress-up props or any of those other things. Besides, I found patterns to knit and crochet cute finger puppets and the book of heroes is available at our library. Hooray to nonconsumerism! (It's a challenge for me, especially when it comes to books and educational toys. Sometimes I have to ask myself, How many books do we need to own?!?!?)

I decided Nick is going to pop out four teeth all at one time. One day he will wake up with a bottom row of teeth and he will be all smiles and coos from then on. Yesterday I caught him gagging himself with his fingers THREE TIMES IN A ROW. It's a strange feeling to admonish your child not to hurt himself. We have to do it with both children. Nick has also been trying to put his entire fist in his mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment