Wednesday, October 7, 2009

To Nick and Xander on This Day

To Nick: I am watching you on a blanket watching me. I think you are trying very hard to crawl, but it could just be tries at rolling over. You do roll from front to back very well now. When I don't swaddle your legs, you like to sleep on your side. (Easy access to your thumb.) You seem to be doing things early, your daddy and I agree. When I hold you upright, I can feel very strong muscles all along your torso and your legs have been capable of holding your weight since birth. I don't know how much you weigh until we go to your 4-month appointment next week, but you can comfortably wear 6-month clothes and #2 diapers and you are somewhere between 25 and 26 inches long. I measured you a couple weeks ago but I forget what the exact number was. I'm sure I wrote it down somewhere. Just now I helped you roll back over from your back to your stomach. I guess you'll be doing that soon. A few days ago I put you on the laminate floor without any slippery pants, socks, or blanket underneath you and you scooted a little bit. You are trying solids once a day but not eating very much of them. Finally, you are napping and sleeping at night pretty well again. You are so cute with your wide-open eyes and dark brown hair with the spiral on the back of your head! Your daddy and I love you and we're having fun watching you go through your baby stages. Even when they're challenging.

To Xander: You are now sitting on the couch for the second hour of quiet time. You finished listening to your books on CD and now I've let you watch Finding Nemo for an hour. I am sorry about the yelling and locking the door and warnings and timeouts that we have to use to get you to sleep for nap and bedtime. You just don't want to be away from us in your own room. But you are cranky and not very healthy without your sleep. Maybe when Nick is older you two will want to share a room and then you won't be alone in your room anymore. And then you will probably want your privacy! I love you very much and I know I get frustrated easily while I'm trying to work through Nick's baby months, but I try to be nice and fun and let you know I love you at the same time. It is so much fun doing learning activities with you, listening to you play, and having conversations with you. You are a fun and smart three-and-a-half-year-old. Daddy and I love you so much.

P.S. Oh, Xander. I had to keep warning you and warning you about staying on the couch. I told you I would get you in 15 minutes after my shower so we could do learning activities and snack. I'm ready! Where are you? On the couch, sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment