Friday, July 2, 2010

Social Skills?

Case 1: I often (when trying to shoo Xander off to play by himself) say, "Have fun playing!" Now that I think about it, I say that every time I put Nick in independent playtime. Yesterday Xander said to me, "Have fun reading!"

Case 2: This morning Xander began to use his broom as a weapon to play-fight with Nick (after doing a good job with it cleaning up his snack). I told him to put it away because it was only used for sweeping and not as a weapon. He began to cry and wail. Finally I got him to put away the broom and motioned him over for a hug. He sobbed in my arms, "My heart is breaking!"

Case 3: Later he was playing with blocks and began to kick them around and say, "Stupid block!" (giggle) "Stupid block! You are stupid!" (looks at me as if waiting to get into trouble for it)

I think he is gaining social awareness, a year or two behind cousin Bailey. Darn. I was happy for him to be a slow learner in that area.

No comments:

Post a Comment