Sunday, December 30, 2012

December Schooling

I've said this month that we did not get a lot of formal schooling done. We got one week's worth of our daily checklist done during December. However, at the same time, we were doing so many activities that helped the children learn.

The preschool schedule went on as normal. So did the library story time, so both kids got exposure to those activities in December. These activities include time for them to draw, count, cooperate with others, do crafts, sing, watch puppet shows, listen to stories, paint, do sensory activities, and much more.

Science and Nature


Erik took Xander outside on a nature outing. He also got both kids started on science games and kits they received for Christmas. Xander is currently tracking the weather every day with this kit from Grandma Bonnie. Erik made a fake snowman and fake ice cubes with Nick from a snowman kit we received from Aunt Pat. We still have other aspects of the first science kit to explore, an Eco Science Toys set from their "aunt" Ricci, and a really nice butterfly pavilion and kit from Grandma Bonnie to use when our weather is a bit warmer. We will need to send away for the caterpillars and be sure that we can release the butterflies outside when the time comes without their dying from the cold.



We spent a lot of time caring for our guinea pig Sandy, too. He is really growing and appreciates more time spent outside of his cage. The boys are quite good with him, although I would not leave them entirely alone with him when he is out of the cage. Xander has been gradually taking on more responsibilities with his pet. When we first got Sandy, I accepted responsibility for getting the daily care done and keeping the animal alive and healthy. Xander now does these things most of the time:
  • fills Sandy's bowl with the right amount of pellets for breakfast and dinner
  • holds a garbage bag open for me while I clean out the cage each week
  • gives Sandy lap time every other day or so
  • reminds me or asks me to have Sandy out of the cage for a while
I still have to monitor water and hay levels in Sandy's cage and refill those containers. Xander tends to forget to check the hay, which should be continually replenished. I clean the cage. I set out the materials for Sandy to play in our wading pool setup and clean up afterward. I am usually the one to remember to feed him before we go out of the house, if necessary. I am the one to weigh him and keep track of that stat. Erik helped me clip Sandy's nails last week, which went well (I was surprised by that).

Nick received shells this year from Santa. He just loves shells, and now he has his own collection.

Music and Singing


We taught/learned and sang Christmas carols all month. We listened to Christmas music almost constantly.

Money and Giving


Xander picked out gifts, paid for them with his own money, tracked his savings and spending and sharing money for that purpose, and helped wrap some gifts. 

Writing, Handicrafts, and Fine Motor Skills


The boys (mostly Nick) helped me bake cookies and other goodies to give to people. 

Xander signed Christmas cards and is now slowly working on getting thank you notes done. Nick likes "signing" cards too, with my hand over his to write the name. I figure this is good practice for him. They both helped make cards using stamping, tracing, cutting, gluing, painting, and drawing. Xander helped me make popcorn strings to go around the tree with needle and thread. He also did a little bit of X-Acto knife cutting to help me make profile pictures for grandparents. 

Both boys helped me make salad the other night by spinning the salad spinner, peeling a carrot, and cutting the carrot and cheese into slices. Nick got a toddler knife for the purpose and I supervised Xander's first use of a sharp kitchen knife. It was also his first time using the peeler. He did great.

Math


When we went on grocery store outings, there were lots of opportunities for Xander to use math. Sometimes I brought up everyday math problems, but most of the time Xander came up with math questions about which he was genuinely curious.

Reading, Spelling, Manners, and Literature


I read great Christmas books and stories to the kids at the rate of about two per day.

Xander did a lot of reading to himself and reading aloud to his brother. They got some very good and/or cute books for Christmas, including Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Lego Star Wars Character Encyclopedia, Turkey Claus, The Christmas Quiet Book, Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book, Ocean Counting: Odd Numbers, Where's That Fish?, I Need My Monster, The Indian in the Cupboard, two books called Dinosaurs, and an Encyclopedia Brown series.

I recommend each and every one of them. The Star Wars Encyclopedia is not a book I would normally praise, but it's the type of book that has our six-year-old reading for about an hour a day. I also would not normally praise I Need My Monster (although it's nicely illustrated) except for the fact that Nick is captivated by it. He really does want these kinds of monsters in his room. The Christmas Quiet Book is beautifully illustrated, and so is Ocean Counting: Odd Numbers. Ocean Counting is a much more beautiful book than the Amazon picture of the cover shows. It's Nick (at 3) who loves this book, but the number concepts and even some of the scientific facts in it are better suited to Xander (at 6). 

I have never read The Indian in the Cupboard, but since starting the first chapter, I can tell it is just as good as people say. I'm also looking forward to reading the Encyclopedia Brown series to Xander because it is a nice, kid-friendly, empowering read for children. The reading level on it is about 3rd grade. I think Xander is capable of reading through the whole book by himself, but it would be too overwhelming at this point due to the number of words per page and the words he might want to ask about, so I will read it to him for now.

Nick got an alphabet pocket chart for Christmas with an animal to go in every pouch based on what letter it starts with. It is bright and cute and I love it for that. Nick likes playing with it. I do wish the letters were printed on the back of each animal, because some of them are hard to figure out, even for adults. I couldn't figure out what the iguana was and which pocket it should go into until I had almost all the other letter pockets filled!


We went to three or four Christmas parties and a visit to great-grandparents that encouraged the use of manners they have been learning. Xander amazed me with his skills, especially because I forgot to remind the children before we went to these events what I expected from them. He was so perfectly polite at his great-grandparents' house that I kind of wondered what had happened to him! At a friend's house where there were lots of children and toys around, he did need a reminder to clear his place and say thank you.






No comments:

Post a Comment