Monday, December 10, 2012

Them's the Breaks

This day is just falling into place.

So far.

We woke to a power outage. Erik and I sat in bed for a few minutes contemplating getting up without coffee. Other than that, it was no big deal. The kids got up and read to each other. I had cranberry nut bread already made. They requested other things that I could not make because we had no electricity, but in my mind, them's the breaks. I had already made something perfectly good. ;)

I have to say it was fun to have a novel start to the day. Our temperature dropped to the 30s last night, but since it has been in the 70s and 80s the last few days, I guess the inside of our house stayed pretty nice. It was in the 60s inside.

About half an hour later, the power kicked on. We had coffee. The heat came on. Suddenly I realized we had to leave for preschool in ten minutes. Everyone got ready and we arrived on time, with teeth brushed and all. I did not have makeup on, but them's also the breaks.

At preschool, Nick:

  • played with the colored puff balls he likes so much
  • scooped corn kernels and sunflower seeds
  • stamped on the ground near the CD player (I think to see if he could make the music skip like it did last week when we were all dancing and stamping to a group song)
  • played with shape bean bags
  • listened to If You Give A Pig A Pancake and a counting book about fish
  • played the Counting Cakes game - this is a really fun, simple game for him and it just looks fun
  • played with Play Doh - made a "cookie"
  • painted another painting
  • played with magnets
  • played a little bit with blocks
  • participated nicely in group time
Then we picked up Xander in the play room, where Nick vacuumed, made ice cream cones, played with vehicles, and did several shape sorting, reading, and counting games with me. They have the most amazing games there. It is so fun to have access to all of them. 

Xander and I and a few friends played several rounds of a strawberry counting game (with extremely realistic-looking strawberries) and a farm animal addition game. He was so upset with me that I didn't borrow either of these to take home, but he did get in good math time for today. I told him we would borrow them next week. It's nice to be begged to do math.

Next week we have the "winter party." Nick told everyone we would bring a cowboy. He was not the only preschooler who volunteered for something similar. They obviously were still thinking of the Halloween party. Maybe HEB has cowboy gingerbread men. :) I think I will also bring the Christmas tree fruit plate I brought for Xander's class last year. 

We got home and had peanut butter honey sandwiches cut in cat shapes. Well, the boys did. I had two pieces of cranberry nut bread with some butter and a handful of black olives. (I had the rest of the can of the black olives yesterday for a snack. Yes, with that and the tearing up over Christmas songs and ads, I did suspect I was pregnant. But that is not the case.)

Xander looked outside at our glorious, sunny, 40-degree day and asked if they could play outside. Well, yes, honey. Go play outside.

So the math portion, the preschool segment, and the outdoor and nature play hour have been taken care of with me basically just rolling out of bed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment