Saturday, September 15, 2012

Friday Fun

I went running last night and it felt marvelous. I ran twice as much as I had planned. I was on the park trail and it was about 70 degrees and cloudy. Friendly people jogged, walked, and biked past me. I felt strong. It was the most fantastic experience.

I followed some tips from an athlete and drank an Airborne fizzy drink in the morning, then had a Muscle Milk drink (with glutamine) plus a tiny bit of dinner right before going for the run. I don't know if the drinks had anything to do with my feeling strong - more likely it was the weather - but I will keep that in mind.

Xander and I had a Picture Study yesterday. We looked at a painting by Raphael Sanzio ("St. George Slaying the Dragon," of course) and he described it in detail to me while I covered my eyes. I read a few bits about the artist that I thought would be interesting. Then I gave a postcard of the painting to Xander to place in his Book of Masterpieces (the photo album he picked out at Hobby Lobby last week). I am thankful to Linda Fay of CharlotteMasonHelp.com for the idea. Having a Book of Masterpieces for each child is meant to encourage them to treat the works of art as precious possessions. I noticed that after we placed that painting card in his book, Xander held it closely to his chest until it was time to put it away.

We also listened to a few minutes of Peter and the Wolf. Xander liked playing around on the kids section of the San Francisco Symphony website as well.

Nick and I played outside a little bit, and the kids played around inside a lot. We all laid down for a few minutes together and read Saint George and the Dragon (retold by Margaret Hodges).

We had Sandy come hang out with us in the evening. I took a video of him making happy chirruping sounds and climbing around on the papasan chair. Then I took a quick video of Nick reading to himself. The humming is representative of his "reading" style. {Both videos had errors uploading so I won't be able to include them, at least not today.}

Here are a few pictures of the day:



No comments:

Post a Comment