Saturday, September 29, 2012

Museum Day

Today was Museum Day for us. In fact, it was Smithsonian's Museum Day Live! A few museums in our area were participating, so we decided this morning to go to two of them. Each household can get two free tickets to a participating museum, which you have to choose before you print out the ticket. Of the two museums we went to, one normally had free admission for children under 12 and the other normally had free admission for everyone, so our whole family was able to go to both for free.

We went to the fine art museum downtown and the military forces museum on base. Xander did not appear impressed with the Renaissance painters exhibit. (We are studying Raphael Sanzio right now, so it was on subject.) I was, and Nick obligingly walked through the whole exhibit with me, sometimes pointing out a detail in a painting or asking what it was. (A sword or a shield, usually, and one white sculpture was, to him, a robot.)

Erik and Xander went through exhibits at their own pace and Nick and I went through at our slightly slower pace. There was a hands-on room that Xander loved but Nick ignored. (Overall, I was very impressed with Nick's obeying the hands-off rule at the museums.) There was a modern art and installation exhibit that Xander found more interesting. Erik let him choose any piece of art to stand in front of to get his picture taken. He chose a large modern piece.

Nick liked the huge staircase. He also wanted lots and lots of food. We had gone off in enough of a hurry that I left our snack behind on the kitchen counter. We found a McDonald's on the way to the military museum and got the kids each a hamburger and french fries. Erik got a Coke. I got nothing, because I was still full from my breakfast in bed. Yes, I got to sleep in this morning. I only woke up at 9:00 because Erik brought in a breakfast tray with coffee and scrambled eggs that he had taught Xander to make. Already, I was in love with this day. And then we got to go to museums!

The military museum was a big hit with the boys. Nick liked the airplanes and helicopters. Xander liked the cannons and tanks. Oh, and he loved the detailed dioramas. I noticed some more somber information and photographs there, but I didn't want to press anyone into studying or looking at anything longer than they wanted to at these museums. (Or give them information beyond their maturity level.) I just wanted them to have the experience of being there in person. Erik was able to understand and explain some interesting facts about the weapons and ammunition. He had even found some of the ordnance we saw there on previous jobs.

the piece of art Xander chose to pose with


in the ejection seat!
"pressing the buttons"





No comments:

Post a Comment