Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Procedure Completed

Xander did great today. His tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy went smoothly and the nurses said he did very well and was brave. He had his kitty with him the whole time, but I'm not sure that he really noticed. I read The Hobbit to him while we waited (from about 5:30 am until almost 7:00) to keep his mind off what was coming up. He never showed the nervousness or fear that I expected.

It took him quite a while to stop being groggy and vaguely irritated in the recovery room. Ever since then, though, he has done better than expected. He even wants to eat more than I want him to eat. We've already moved on to mashed potatoes and yogurt from jello, sherbet shake, and juice. I think I'll let him try a finely diced piece of shrimp for dinner tonight along with the other mushy stuff. If he wants to.

He's on hydrocodone mixed with Tylenol and I've been advised to wake him up in the middle of the night to keep him on a dosage schedule. It's possible he'll feel worse tomorrow or the next day than he does today. It's also possible he'll lose up to ten pounds before he gains it back again, which would be ridiculous on Xander's frame.

One strange side effect of the procedure that we were warned about was that some kids' voices go up an octave and become very nasal for about a month. Then they go back to normal. This seems to have happened to Xander's voice.

Nick had a great time playing with his friend at her house this morning. He was glad to see us when we picked him up, though. I don't know why it is really hitting me today rather than any other day, but he is a HUNGRY kid! He is always wanting something else! I mean, right now he is eating cold refried beans, so it's not just that he wants continuous treats.

I allowed Xander to play with his new knights today. That was the first thing he wanted to do after getting home. I'm also allowing as much TV/DVD watching as he wants in order to keep him as still as he is supposed to be. Total stillness and the absence of jumping is just not going to happen, I'm afraid. I plan to keep him inside for about a week, but I catch him running down the hallway to his bedroom or the bathroom.

So it might be PBS and knights this week. I'll try to get them drawing or painting, too.

3 comments:

  1. I hope he does not experience a huge drop in weight... or any worse days than the one he already had! I also hope he really lives up the whole "hungry-but-can't-eat-anything-not-jello/shake/smoothie" thing. I totally missed my opportunity to milk this type of thing when I was thirteen and had my wisdom teeth out. Please advise him. :)

    Enjoy your still week. I hope the weather does not stay nice for you, so that you have even more incentive to remain relatively inactive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, the weather has been gorgeous!

    He's doing just fine with the treats. Just now, he told me his cheek was sore, and since he recently had his hydrocodone dose, I allowed him to have ice cream to "ice" his cheek. I'm not exactly looking forward to the day that I wean him off this stuff and have him do lessons again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update to above: He is feeling the effects of a low fever (normal at this point in recovery) and he told me he doesn't like the chocolate ice cream. It was not much eaten.

    That reminds me of when I got my impacted wisdom teeth out when I was 20. I felt really sick, ate a lot of cookies 'n cream ice cream, and then was off ice cream altogether for years! It made me remember that sick feeling. Good diet tip. ;)

    ReplyDelete