Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Yesterday was a Day Off...

Yesterday was a Day Off for the most part. Xander journaled a lot. We went to Half Price Books to sell a bunch of ours and we ended up spending almost as much as we earned (of course). I told the boys that if we earned money from our books, we could each pick out something new. Xander picked an Obi Wan Kenobi figure, Nick attached himself to a Train Stories chapter book, and I bought Hal Higdon's Run Fast.

By the way, I am never selling at Half Price Books again. We had a decent couple of boxes filled with books, children's DVDs, a children's phonics program, and a computer game and we got $12. I could have made more (I think) selling through Amazon.

Nick has been choosing our silver serving ware to drink "special" ice water and orange juice drinks


Xander labeling what Nick drew in his journal; it's a battle droid (I had to help with the spelling)

journaling together

journaling together without the blur

Last night, I left for my knitting group with a Target stop beforehand. Yeah. I never made it to knitting group. I picked up the remainder of what I think I and the boys will need through the fall and winter season. Minus cold weather necessities if they ever do become necessary. We have jackets and thin gloves and scarves and I can knit up some winter hats if we need any due to head growage.

It was a big total at the end of the night, and I always feel sick to my stomach when that happens, but I think I got good, reasonable items.

For me:
  • two tiny composition books for to-do lists that fit in my pocket
  • a pack of my favorite Pilot pens because these blue Bic ballpoints are driving me nutty
  • a pair of running shorts that fit and don't ride up (noticeably)
  • a sweat-wicking running shirt - this has seemed more and more like a necessity as I run in 100 degree heat
  •  pair of flats that match my new (unreasonable because it doesn't match anything else in my closet but nice-looking) black and silvery baseball shirt
For Xander:
  •  a 7-pack of thin black ankle socks to take him through the fall and winter
  • a Crayola Star Wars Story Studio pack that cost $3 due to being on sale and using a coupon that came attached to the 7-pack of socks above
  • two durable but thin binders for his Art and Writing subjects - should last us years
For Nick:
  •  a large pack of white-and-gray and white-and-navy-blue socks to take him through the fall and winter (now the boys' socks will be easily distinguishable from each other in the wash, which matters only because their feet are different sizes)
  • a cheap pair of tan athletic pants
Oh, yeah, for Erik:
  • a Snickers bar on sale (plus an extra for me)
Once at home, we ate our Snickers bars. Erik played a game on his iPod while watching the Democratic National Convention. I knitted on a little monster destined for Xander while watching the same. I don't know how most of the RNC speakers performed, other than Marco Rubio, who was really good. There were several decent speakers at the DNC. Michelle Obama, of course, was spectacular. I kind of like watching all the commentators more than the speakers because they seem a bit flummoxed and all excited about the goings-on. It's fun to watch serious, professional, high-ranking commentators get flummoxed and excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment