Friday, October 5, 2012

2012 Goals Update: September

Here is my 2012 Goals Update for September. I think, in summary, I am accomplishing a lot. It is hard to look at the little steps I have taken instead of focusing on the ones I have not. Another good reason to publish these updates.

Note: The goals in green are ones I'm not sure about accomplishing this year.



Goals for School Year 2012-2013

Personal:
Scripture study every morning. {Have done this most mornings, but have found that simpler is better for me.}
Go to church and Sunday School every Sunday that we're home that is feasible. Otherwise, the Daily Office from The Mission of St. Clare. {Not doing so hot on this since Erik came home. Still determined.}
Follow my personalized Rule of Life plan. {This will only take some tweaks to our daily life as a family, like planning some environmental or other volunteerism, but minor tweaks still seem hard to accomplish at this time, while starting to homeschool.}
Run in at least three 5K races. {Not signing up for an October race because of our No Spend Month, but I'm confident I'll enter three races this year.}
Complete Hal Higdon's Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced 5K training programs (8 weeks apiece). {Three weeks into the Novice program and so happy to be running again!}
Clean daily along the lines of my online friend Valerie's methods and plans. {Switching back to a FlyLady regimen - and I've switched between the two before - because it seems to fit well with homeschooling and our current situation. Still using some of Valerie's tips.}
Get dressed and ready every day (with a semblance of style) using The Perpetual Student's Wife as a model. Outfit, make-up, hair in 15 minutes. Shower at night. Only with extra time can I do jewelry, nails, etc. {Doing this, but I'm going to save The Perpetual Student's Wife for rare days when I want to study style a bit. Otherwise, it takes up too much time on a daily basis. Going with about seven simple outfits for now.}
Commit to keeping a journal (daily). {Found my journal! Just need to get up early enough in the morning to do this every day.}
Meal plan and cook every day using categories of food for each day and some freezer cooking. {Making meals every day, liking my new easy method of menu planning using a month's list of favorite breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks.}
Finish current knitting projects (mustang, baby hat and booties, charity bear, napkin rings, socks, Nana's Bath Mat). {Not getting this done - knitting is one of the things I don't feel up to yet with the homeschooling and running.}
Do ongoing service with Xander and/or whole family. {Not yet; still trying to find the right thing for a six-year-old. I don't want it to be a situation where someone is helping HIM feel good about himself while he is not actually helping them.}
Begin studying piano on a regular basis using the Alfred books I have. {Not yet. This feels like something I will have to begin another year.}
Put together a photo album for the year using Shutterfly or something similar and order it. {Not focusing on this.}
Put together a scrapbook/portfolio at the end of the school year showing some of Xander's work. {Taken care of with Lindafay's good organization tips for homeschool.}
Learn to use the Singer sewing machine from Grandma (study manual). {Working on this; think I've had a breakthrough.}
Finish envelope back cushion covers for living room. {This WILL happen. I think.}
Get Locks of Love hair cut.
Go running every other evening or more. {Doing this.}
Do strength training (Jillian Michaels's No More Trouble Zones) twice a week. {Not doing this but about to start.}
Slim down in a healthy way using my adapted plan from Ask Lauren Fleshman. {Doing this or something like it.}

Marriage:
Try my best to have a focused conversation with Erik every day when he gets home from work without kid interruptions ("couch time"). {Could use improvement, but we do always do a semblance of this.}
Have monthly date nights with babysitting by YMCA or family/friends. {This doesn't happen much. We've basically used up our friend-babysitting until it's our turn to do the same for them, and we canceled our YMCA membership to save money.}
Spend most evenings with Erik after my run. Include playing board games, watching "our shows," and movies. {Doing this.}
Other goals I'd rather not publish.
Re-read The 5 Love Languages. {It's in our library basket right now, and I have to read it today or return it unread. Good motivation!}
Try to eradicate complaining from my life. {I feel like I'm improving on this.}
Start to use Cozi as our family calendar and list-keeper so Erik and I can both view and edit. {Doing this, but I've got to master it. Called my aunt two months ahead of time with birthday wishes because of an entering error.}

Children/Homeschooling:
Finish 1st grade material with Xander (can extend through summer months if I want). {On track!}
Incorporate work travel with Erik into school through journaling and travel scrapbooking. Get Xander a digital camera.
Go through What Your Preschooler Needs to Know and the Activity Book 1 with Nick (can extend through next year if I want). {Slowly doing this.}
Attend free preschool with Nick (can extend through next year). {Doing this.}
Sign them both up for a sports team this year. {Maybe soccer in the spring again.}
Continue to teach both some swimming skills in a non-threatening environment. {Got somewhere at the end of summer.}
Go on at least one field trip per week (can be nature hike, museum, special park, class, farm, factory, etc.). {Pretty much doing this.}
Follow our adapted Plan from The Parenting Breakthrough with each boy. {I may move some of this to summer months. Some of it is happening day to day.}
Look more into Lone Scouting.
Teach Xander/have him practice riding his bike, with and without training wheels. {He's practiced a lot more with Erik and now we can raise up the training wheels in preparation for taking them off.}
Teach Xander to tie his shoes. {Is this really necessary?? Just kidding. I'll do it.}
Finish The Hobbit and then watch the movie. {Really getting there.}
See if I can have Xander send monthly letters (with photos or drawings of where we've been) to Bailey and JT.  {Not doing this yet. He did send a couple of drawings to a classmate/friend from last year.}
Get Xander's tonsils out in November.
Maintain this blog for anecdotes about the boys, homeschooling logs, and personal goal setting. {Yup.}

Service/Family/Friendships:
Spend some time on the Chronicles of a Babywise Mom Google group on Sundays. {Another oops.}
Possibly spend some time on the Fascinating Womanhood ~ Alaska Alumni Yahoo group on Sundays. {Not doing this lately.}
Possibly do an occasional blog post on my Fascinating Ways blog. {Same as above.}
When we are home, invite a family over for dinner every week or two. {Did this once; have another invite out.}
Do the same for playdates for Xander. {Two invites out - going to see if a neighbor can play this weekend.}
Keep knitting for the Mother Bear Project. {Yet another oops.}
Write at least two notes, cards, or letters per week. {Wha......? I'm supposed to be keeping in touch with people??}
Call immediate family members once every week or two. {Doing this sort of well.}
Spend Sundays on rest, church, service, family, and nature activities. {Same as above.}

Writing/Business:
Learn to knit [this pattern] which can be sold with her permission. [can't find it again; keep looking]
Write for a half hour on Homemaking Cottage articles every other day. When articles for the month are done, work on improvement of expository writing, photography, and vlogs. {Not spending enough time on this currently.}
Do National Novel Writing Month again if Xander wants to do the Youth version (can incorporate into school time, thus freeing some of my time as well). {Putting this off until next year when the timing will be better for Xander.}
Keep learning. Any of my learning could come in handy in the future if I progress baby step by baby step. {Always doing this, I hope.}

Financial:
Follow new budget plan for saving/paying off car. {Have new budget and new financial plan; following a No Spend Month in October.}
Tithe 10% or more of my own income. Give to local food pantries, etc., with extra money. {Need to get on top of going to church.}
Check for surplus over $3K or $4K on the 10th of each month to put toward paying off the car/savings. {Doing this, but right now we've got lots of doctor bills.}
Get haircuts with coupons - one person per month - and do manicure/pedicures at home (as always).{Doing this.}

No comments:

Post a Comment