Thursday, October 18, 2012

A Hard Day

Lindafay of Charlotte Mason Help says that there are occasional hard days, birthdays, and other situations when they just do the reading portion of their school work and skip all the rest.

I wouldn't say that today was a particularly hard day, but it has been a week of more complaining than usual. Xander said his throat hurt this morning, although I couldn't see anything wrong and his head was not hot.

For our day, then, we did this:

  • Calendar time
  • Pledges to the flags
  • Half a math hole-punching activity
  • Two Aesop's fables read aloud 
  • Two stories from Among the Night People

We skipped the part where he would normally narrate back to me. We skipped half the math activity. We skipped recorder practice. (He is progressing well with the recorder anyway, so I don't mind him taking a day off from that.) On a normal Thursday, we would also read from This Country of Ours and write a sentence from the book to put in his My America binder, but we have caught all the way up with that material until next school week.

This afternoon, if all goes well, we will go to a science materials open house held by the school district. There will be science activities for children to do and I think the boys will like it.

Meantime, because Xander is finished with school for today and Nick has fallen asleep, I get to work on my 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home and Houseworks Holiday Plan projects. This morning, for the 4 Weeks project, I cleared out the contents of the refrigerator and thoroughly cleaned it. I even put the shelves and drawers in the bath tub to scrub them up. It looks marvelous! I am so glad that all that nasty stuff (that I didn't know was there) is now gone. I also wiped all the counters and cupboard doors in the kitchen, which was nice.

Next week will be a Grace Week, as Lindafay calls it, so I should have time to catch up on projects around the house and for the holidays. We will see. Sometimes not doing things according to routine makes the kids more out of sorts, even though it means more potential free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment