Thursday, August 26, 2010

Answers

Xander and I are reading a children's history of William Shakespeare. The author posed some questions that are at the foundation of his plays. Xander had his own answers for two out of the three.

I read, "What is life about?"

Silence.

"How shall we act?"

Xander: "Good!"

"What must we do?"

"Fight in Narnia!"

My children have a lot of answers these days. In the back yard, Nick walked away from me but kept looking back with that knowing toddler expression that seems to say, "Do you understand what I am communicating to you? Let me try again until you can get it."

I said, "Bye-bye!" but he kept looking meaningfully at me.

So I said, "Are you coming back to me, Nick?"

He shook his head and said, "no," with a shy tone of voice. Then he moved with purpose to the slide.

I had an uncanny feeling the whole time that he was much older than 14 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment