Tuesday, August 3, 2010

One-On-One Dates



A couple of weeks ago, Erik took Xander on an all-day canoe trip for a Daddy-Xander date. They ran into a few adventures, including a missing little girl and not catching up with Erik's friends either at the beginning of the trip or at the end. Xander did not agree that they were adventures, though, because they did not fit his idea of kids' adventures. He told me several times that there was green water and orange water and he played with kids. There was an alligator that crossed immediately in front of their boat. Erik reports that Xander was not at all afraid.

The next weekend I took him on our first official Mommy-Xander date. Xander chose where to go, and it was Steak 'n Shake. He knew all along that he wanted a mint chocolate chip shake after his dinner. The highlights for me were:

1. He read "mint" off the menu.
2. He thanked me twice without any prompting.
3. I had an opportunity to listen to his mealtime chattering without trying to get him to be quiet and eat.

The highlights for Xander were:

1. The cardboard car that they give all kids.
2. And the cook's hat.
3. And the two crayons that were included.
4. And the green mint chocolate chip shake with whipped cream and cherry. "The ice cream, I hadded the ice cream that I choosed for myself."

No comments:

Post a Comment