Friday, November 30, 2012

Self-Sacrifice, Kid Version

Xander put together a battle between his medieval knights and his Alexander the Great army. When it was over, he felt bad that the side I was "rooting for" (because he kept asking me to pick one) lost. He went to find a consolation prize for me.

He came back with the little light he uses at night to read in bed. We are okay with him reading in bed for half an hour at night, but there has been trouble with him continuing to read after we tell him lights out.

I said, "Oh, thanks! Should I just use this for today and then give it back to you?"

He said, "No. Giving it to you is the only way to make sure that I don't read with it in bed [after lights out]."

I told him that was a wise decision and I was proud of how he was growing wiser and more mature each day.

He walked away crestfallen, saying, "I am just really sad."

2 comments:

  1. What a sensitive soul! Sensitive to your needs, sensitive to your wishes... sensitive all around. Now that's a heart to protect and cultivate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for saying that. I go back and forth on whether I should encourage his sensitivity or not, especially because he's a boy. He sometimes cries easily. I can identify with his sensitive side, probably too much!

    ReplyDelete