Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Today Feels Like Victory

Today was a busy day, for our standards. Anything I've put in larger print is a task for Money Saving Mom's 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified} series.

I went running before Erik left for work. Breakfast was served, the Money Saving Mom challenge post from yesterday was posted, email was checked, Bible section was read, and similar things were accomplished. I ordered a $0.99 copy of Money Saving Mom's new ebook Celebrating and Savoring a Simple Christmas. I made a list of goals for today.


I took a shower and got dressed. Although I don't want to spend too much time thinking about clothing and fashion right now, I went ahead and asked for the free copy of Frumps to Pumps from Sarah Mae that Crystal keeps mentioning. I could use some help, so I will be reading that at some point.


The kids did their Morning Cards and got all ready just in time to go to the doctor. Xander ran over his foot with a tricycle on Sunday and it is still red and swollen and painful. Both boys were well-behaved and entertaining (in their own ways) during the doctor visit.

After the doctor, we had time to make it to preschool story time at the library and also to pick out books and magazines and DVDs.

Then lunch and some cleaning. I did the 4 Weeks task of cleaning out my messiest drawer. Actually, my clothes drawers are all pretty neat, so I chose a rolling shelf unit in the closet that is used to hold my knitting projects.

Before
The rolling cart has only three shelves. I had six projects out and underway. Since this phase of life is not a good time for me to finish a lot of knitting projects, I decided to cut my losses and whittle projects down to three, to fit the shelves. First, I discontinued the robot I was knitting for Nick. He had no interest in the picture of the finished product and liked what I had done so far. Two little pieces can fit over his fingertips and one is a long thin tube that was supposed to be the robot's antenna. I gave Nick the three little pieces and cut that project out of my life. Nick calls the pieces robots anyway. Win win.



Next, I decided to go ahead and send my friend the baby hat I finished without waiting for some mythical day when I would finally finish the booties. If I have time to finish the booties, I can always send those later. This makes me feel a little uncomfortable, but if I don't send something soon, her baby will be too big to wear any of it.


The remaining yarn from my ditched projects went into the appropriate places. I have a bin for acrylic yarn and a drawer that holds wool yarn and cotton yarn along with my knitting books.



I kept my 1) very portable Mother Bear project, 2) mindless bathroom hand towel project for TV nights, and 3) mustang and cowboy project that I said I would make for Xander.

After
I just have one straggler that I think maybe I should finish. All I have to do is finish picking up stitches to make a chain border around a pot holder. (Or something like that; the reason it's taking me so long is I've never done this type of border before and I'm hesitant.)



Back to our regularly scheduled day.

We then did homeschooling and preparing dishes for having a family over to dinner tonight.

Then some more cleaning, including cleaning our guinea pig's cage. Xander and I also wiped down all the door knobs in the house with disinfecting wipes. I did the remote and iPod Touch and cell phone for good measure, too. I had taught Xander how to do this task just last week, so it was good timing to practice it again.

Will be back later!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting rid of some things. I find myself dumping a bag of garbage daily right now and finding several things each day to add to our craigslist pile! Sometimes it feels good to let go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it? Your home is going to be so decluttered and nice with all the work you're doing!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I hope the foot injury did not turn out to be serious? I just signed up for the free e-book this morning myself. You accomplished a lot yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! The doctor said his toe will heal and that it's not infected. :) I'm glad we went, though, because he was even having trouble walking with a shoe on - we were concerned.

      Delete