Wednesday, November 7, 2012

What They Did Yesterday

So I've been posting about my goals and my 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home progress. This post is about the boys.

I am tampering with our schooling schedule to see if I can find something that works better for us. What we are doing this week is a little different from the daily checklists from Charlotte Mason Help, although most of it is based on those checklists. We are still doing at least ten things per day, but they are distributed differently. I am trying out having him do some type of Spanish, life skill, recorder practice, and math each day. That leaves about six items from the regular checklists. I am also experimenting with doing it in the early afternoon, without taking a break. (By this point in the day, we have done chores, play time, some meals, and sometimes outside play time.) This method takes us less time per day but we have been continuing school over the weekend and may not take as many Grace Weeks.

This is still an experiment. We'll see what we end up with by the end of the year.

Xander:

  • played with his brother 
  • played outside
  • rested
  • played Playmobil
  • helped me by correctly doing his Morning Cards (including chores)
  • helped me by wiping down baseboards and grout in the kitchen (wiping the grout was his idea)
  • watched a little bit of Sesame Street Old School, Volume 1, to help me test whether the DVDs still worked (because I'm trading in DVDs to Amazon)
  • behaved beautifully on errands to Walgreens, the grocery store, and the post office
  • listened to me read aloud from The Hobbit
  • recited the pledges
  • listened to me read aloud from Paddle to the Sea, two chapters, and updated Paddle's location on the map
  • practiced his memorization of "Summer Afternoon" by A.A. Milne
  • listened to Beth Manners's Fun Spanish for Kids (I'm not sure I'm a fan)
  • practiced Math facts with Xtra Math
  • played a couple of Electric Company math games on pbskids.org
  • watched Lego Star Wars videos
  • went through one page of Everyday Number Stories with me, with the help of our plate and pennies game
  • talked about the election a little bit over our dinner and patriotic desserts
  • played knights
  • watched the election results come in with Erik and me

Nick:
  • played with his brother
  • played a little bit outside
  • did his Morning Cards correctly (with my help)
  • watched a little bit of Sesame Street Old School, Volume 1, to help me test whether the DVDs still worked (because I'm trading in DVDs to Amazon)
  • behaved beautifully on errands to Walgreens, the grocery store, and the post office
  • played dinosaurs and figures
  • played Rainbow Fish Lotto
  • had independent playtime
  • napped
  • played with the magnetic alphabet game we borrowed from the preschool program
  • ate all his dinner
I tried to read to Nick, but he said the books I pulled out were scary. (Green Eggs and Ham, Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See?) When he was hungry, I asked if he wanted strawberries. He said no, they were scary. "They're red."

Okay, buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment